Bay Medical Included on List of America’s 50 Best Hospitals for Two Years in a Row
February 18, 2009
Christa Dean Hild
Panama City, FL – Bay Medical has once again received national recognition for excellence on the list of America’s 50 Best Hospitals for 2009. Bay Medical first appeared on this list in 2008.
The list of America’s 50 Best Hospitals is compiled annually by HealthGrades, a leading healthcare quality research organization, which reviewed 41 million Medicare records from nearly 5,000 hospitals across the country. Hospitals listed among the 50 Best are considered among the top 1 percent in the nation for overall clinical quality, and patients treated at one of the 50 Best have on average a 71 percent reduced risk of mortality. Of the millions of Medicare records reviewed from across the nation, HealthGrades found that if all patients had been treated at a hospital included in the 50 Best, 150,000 lives could have been saved.
Hospitals that are included in America’s 50 Best have been rated consistently among the top 5 percent in the nation over a period of five to six years. Bay Medical has been included in this category since 2004. In specialty categories, Bay Medical is top rated in northwest Florida and among the top 5 percent in the nation for overall cardiac services and overall pulmonary services. Bay Medical ranks among the top 10 percent in the nation for the treatment of stroke, for GI surgery and general surgery, and for overall critical care. Bay Medical is rated sixth in the entire state of Florida for the best quality critical care.
“At Bay Medical, we’re proud of our achievements and continue to work to maintain and improve on our success,” say Bay Medical CEO Steve Johnson. “However the real winner is our community, who can receive top quality healthcare right here at home.”