|10 on-the-job flu-fighting tips|
The tight quarters and poor ventilation of many work environments can make you susceptible to colds and flu. Follow these 10 tips to stay well and productive this season:
- Wash your hands frequently. Hot water and soap are best, but if you don’t have easy access to a sink, keep alcohol-based disposable wipes or gel sanitizers on hand.
- Keep keyboards, telephones, doorknobs and surfaces that people touch frequently clean with a disinfectant and paper towels.
- If you can, crack open a window to air out your space.
- Make sure your workplace is stocked with plenty of tissues.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth, where germs enter your system.
- Avoid close contact with someone who’s sick.
- Don’t smoke or allow smoking. If your office isn’t smoke-free, ask that it becomes so.
- Consider getting the flu vaccine. See Who Needs the Flu Vaccine? for guidelines.
- Eat well, exercise and get enough sleep. A healthy body is more likely to ward off germs than one that’s run-down.
- Finally, if you’re sick, stay home to recover and protect your co-workers.