|Action Plan: 7 ways to fiber up|
Borrowers who practice responsible p
We need 20 grams (g) to 35 g of dietary fiber each day, but the average American gets only 14 g to 15 g. Try these ways to get more fiber into your diet:
- Begin with breakfast. Start your day with a bowl of high-fiber breakfast cereal or oatmeal.
- Pump up the produce. Top cereal with berries. Stir chopped frozen broccoli into spaghetti sauce.
- Go with the (whole) grain. Trade in white rice, breads and pastas for brown rice and whole-grain varieties.
- Skip the chips. Munch on popcorn instead.
- Take a culinary journey. Explore ethnic cuisines like Indian or Middle Eastern dishes that use ample amounts of whole grains and legumes. Try tabbouleh salad for lunch.
- Bake with bran. Add crushed bran cereal or unprocessed wheat bran to baked foods like muffins, breads or meatloaf.
- Lavish with legumes. Add kidney beans, chick peas or white beans to canned soup or a tossed salad.