|Take your workout on vacation|
Vacations are supposed to be good for both body and soul. So along with all that planned rest and relaxation, allocate time to work in your workouts. Try some of these ways to stay active and fit while you’re vacationing:
- Walk everywhere. Pack your sneakers and get a good map. Get to as many activities and destinations as you can on foot. Skip the sightseeing bus and sign up for a walking tour. Stroll to the restaurant for dinner; save the cab fare for the way home.
- Book a sea cruise. Ocean liners can be floating playgrounds with gyms, pools, classes and jogging tracks. Some offer rock-climbing, ice-skating, dance classes and personal training.
- Pick the right hotel. Book your stay at an inn with a pool, a fitness room, jogging trails, tennis courts, a golf course or at least stairs. Never use the elevator. No fitness room? Local health clubs and YMCAs sometimes welcome visitors for a small fee.
- Pack your gear. A jump rope, resistance bands, a yoga mat or your favorite workout tape or DVD won’t take up much luggage space.
- See the sights on pedal-power. Rent a bike and explore the countryside, ancient ruins, famous battlefields, parks and other places.
- Check out nearby parks. Ask hotel staff to recommend a park for walking, jogging or paddling a rowboat.