|5 steps to a second opinion|
- Ask your healthcare provider or someone you trust for a recommendation. Don’t worry about hurting your healthcare provider’s feelings; this is your health you’re talking about! University teaching hospitals and medical societies can also provide you with physicians’ names.
- Check with your insurance company. Find out whether they’ll pay for another office visit and if you need to follow other procedures.
- Have your medical records sent to the second healthcare provider. You must provide written permission to do this.
- Learn as much as you can about your disease or condition beforehand. Prepare a list of questions for your visit with the new healthcare provider.
- Be seen in person. Don’t get a second opinion over the phone or via the Internet. Physical exams and testing may be necessary.