|Summertime party tips|
Chances are you’ll attend at least one barbecue or picnic this summer. Try these tips for watching your waistline, whether you’re the guest or the host.If you’re the guest …
If you’re the host …
- Fill up with water, diet soda and other noncaloric beverages to help curb your appetite.
- Watch your alcohol intake. Have one alcoholic drink and then switch to a low-calorie beverage.
- If there are vegetables and dip, keep your dip intake small if you’re not sure of its fat content.
- Survey the picnic table before digging in. Choose two or three favorites and keep portions moderate.
- Use reduced-fat dressings, dips and spreads instead of butter and creamy, full-fat toppings.
- For every whole egg in a recipe, substitute two egg whites or 1/4 cup of egg alternative.
- Skim the fat from meat drippings. Use fruit juice to baste meat.
- Provide a variety of grain, bean and vegetable dishes, such as low-fat risotto and three-bean salad.
- Remember to offer fruit-based desserts as an alternative to cakes and pies.