The Bay Medical Sacred Heart team of professionals recognizes the diversity and uniqueness of every person who is facing cancer. We understand that each individual processes the experience differently.
Support for Patients and Families
Guided by a multidisciplinary cancer committee, Bay Medical Sacred Heart fights cancer every step of the way, teaching people how to reduce their risk of cancer, helping patients detect cancer, and providing a full array of patient and family services if cancer is diagnosed. We are committed to offering support and comfort to the body, mind, and spirit.
Oncology Nurse Navigator
Because we know a cancer diagnosis is frightening, confusing and overwhelming, Bay Medical Sacred Heart offers the support of an oncology nurse navigator. Your nurse navigator will work closely with your healthcare team to provide a seamless pathway from diagnosis to survivorship. Your navigator is available to provide education, emotional support, and anticipatory guidance to patients and their families by:
- Helping you understand your diagnosis
- Explaining procedures, treatments, side effects, roles of physicians and other aspects of care
- Assisting with questions to ask your doctors
- Providing patients with more detailed educational material pertaining to specific types of cancer and treatment options
- Working in collaboration with Case Management and Social Work to offer resource information about financial assistance, home health needs, insurance issues, medication assistance, transportation and other concerns
- Helping to coordinate physician and diagnostic appointments, if needed
- Providing you and your family with a primary point of contact
Award-Winning Cancer Registry
Bay Medical Sacred Heart’s Cancer Registry recently earned the 2017 Jean Byers Award for Excellence in Cancer Registration, for 2015 data. The award is given by the Florida Cancer Data System, the state reporting entity. The award reflects the hospital’s commitment to providing Floridians with the best, most comprehensive cancer data surveillance system. BMSH has earned the award every year since 2010.