Forgetting something important is the last thing a mother-to-be wants to think about during labor and delivery. For your peace of mind and to ensure a comfortable childbirth experience, we have provided a simple checklist of items for you to bring with you to Bay Medical’s Family Birth Center.
You may want to pack two bags – a small overnight bag for the items you will need during labor and a larger bag for everything else that you will need later.
For Labor and Delivery:
- Your Birth Plan if you have one – Be sure to make your physician aware of your wishes in advance so he or she can discuss them with you and answer any questions you may have.
- Your Insurance Card
- Your Pediatrician’s Name and Phone Number
- Hospital Paperwork
- Labor and Delivery Outfit – We will provide a hospital gown for you to wear during labor and delivery, or you may bring your own gown that is loose and comfortable and that you don’t mind getting soiled.
- Slippers – For walking around the unit during early labor.
- Socks – To keep your feet warm.
- Hair Clip or Band – To keep hair out of your face during delivery.
- Eyeglasses – Even if you usually wear contacts, you will probably need or want to take them out at some point during your stay.
- Pillow from Home – To add a touch of familiar comfort, feel free to bring your favorite pillow from home. Simply remember to choose a patterned pillowcase so it won’t get mixed up with hospital pillows.
- Magazines – Expect some down time, but you won’t want a novel.
- Music and Activities (cards, games) – that are relaxing for mom
- Hard candy or gum
For Your Partner/Labor Coach
- Change for vending machines and snacks
- Basic Toiletries (Toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant.)
- A Change of Clothes
- Snacks and Reading Material
- Camera for all of the important first photos
- Video Camera (for use after delivery) – To document those precious first moments of your baby’s life.
- Address Book and Important Phone Numbers – You will have plenty of calls to make!
- A Fresh Nightgown and Robe
- Toiletries – Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, lip balm, makeup, hairbrush, shampoo, and soap.
- Going-Home Outfit – Choose something roomy and easy to get into that fit during your sixth month of pregnancy, along with a pair of flat shoes.
- Nursing Bra – To support swollen, sore breasts and keeps breast pads in place.
- Breast Pads – To stop messy leaks by absorbing milk.
- Nursing pillow – To reduce the strain on your arms, neck, and back while nursing.
For Your Baby
- Infant Car Seat – You can’t leave the hospital without one! Please make sure your car seat is properly installed, and that you know how to fasten your infant in it safely.
- Hat – To prevent heat loss by covering your baby’s head.
- Receiving Blanket – Newborns love to be swaddled.
- Booties/Socks – To keep little feet snug and warm.
- Going-Home Outfit – A soft outfit for your baby’s first homecoming.
- Outfit for Bay Medical-Sacred Heart billboard photo